GREEN BOOST BISCUITS: PLANTAIN FLOUR BISCUITS WITH UGU, BITTERLEAVES AND SCENT LEAVES
Yummy, healthy biscuits are a rare treat. Now, imagine them also gluten free, suitable for vegetarians/vegans, and fortified with herbs rich in essential vitamins and minerals. A very rare treat in deed.
Our green boost biscuits are a unique creation with an amazing chocolatey-like taste from the mix of dried Ugu leaves, bitter leaves and scent leaves.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Plantain flour by Oh!NG, 100g
- Crushed oats, 20g
- Nut butter or Margarine, 60g - almond butter, sunflower seed oil butter etc.
- Pure Cane Sugar or Brown sugar, 40g
- Milk – dairy or legume milk drink, 1 table spoon
- Pinch of salt & nutmeg
- Baking powder and /or Bicarbonate of Soda, 6g
- Herbs blend - any of or a combination of Ugu leaves, scent leaves and bitter leaves, 20g (blended to fine powder)
- Vanilla Essence, 1 table spoon
- Biscuit cutters
- Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- Mix in all dry ingredients in a large bowl with your fingers or with a wooden or silicon spatula- plantain flour, crushed oats, salt, nutmeg, baking powder, sugar, and/or bicarbonate of soda, and herbs blend. Mix thoroughly to ensure all ingredients are evenly mixed distributed.
- Add in the butter and mix in with the dry ingredients thoroughly until you have a bread crumbs like mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence as well as tablespoon of milk, and kneed the whole mixture together until you have a dough that holds well together but at the same time does not stick to your fingers or spatula.
- Let your biscuit dough cool in the fridge for about 20 to 30 mins.
- Prepare your baking pan by lining with parchment paper. Also, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- For easy, no mess flattening out of the dough, we recommending rolling the dough in between two sheets of parchment paper. Take out two sheets of parchment paper. On a flat surface, spread out one of the parchment papers, sprinkle some flour on it, and place your biscuit dough over it. Sprinkle little flour over the dough and finally place the second parchment paper over the dough.
- Flatten out the dough evenly to your desired thickness - up to 1cm. Use your cookie cutter to make out shapes.
- Arrange your biscuits dough on your baking pan with good enough space between each dough.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until edges are browned out.
- Let cool and serve. You can store your biscuits in a fridge for up to 3 - 4 days.